Wednesday, October 7, 2009

work behaviors

Today I had to deal with the inevitability that comes from working in an office. The "I don't want to do work so I pawn it off to someone else by feigning ignorance or overwhelmness" routine. I have someone who is designated as my backup but who has not been very helpful in training me in any way. Anything that is given to them immediately gets an "I was trained but can't remember" or "I don't use this all the time so I don't know" or "I don't know, call so and so" who in turn tells me in an aggravated frustrated tone that this backup indeed knows but just doesn't want to be bothered with doing it.

Not knowing what to do, I am left with a growing concern that I have little to no backup that will be reliable let alone efficient. Others who have other responsibilities are being pulled to cover for this person and I don't know why.

It is time to have a pow-wow with my boss to see how the power lines flow and what can be done regarding the backup who doesn't want to be the backup. It will not be an easy talk as I don't like confrontation (most people do not like to be advised on what they could improve upon) so this will be interesting.

I am in training the next several days so I don't have the time to do some things, and this backup is to take care of it and is again playing overwhelmed and dumb on something they had indicated they had prior training on but just couldn't remember as they didnt' use it a lot. I'm going to suggest this person goes on refresher courses and be further utilized to keep the person in 'remember' mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment