Thursday, June 30, 2011

when no means no....it means NO

People have gotten severely allergic when told NO. As in, no, do not feed the dog beyond what it was already fed, its own meansured dogfood. There is a reason the dog eats a certain amount of a certain kind of food, and is not allowed human food. DO NOT go behind my back and feed the dog food the minute you think I won't notice or see.

I already have a dog that is going on ten years old, is obese and, I suspect, diabetic. The dog is fed human food, her own food, and snacks throughout the day. The dog goes out maybe once a day and when it feels like it, as it came trained to go indoors and has a dedicated wee wee pad spot.

Her back legs are going, and she cries in pain when she has to jump down or walk beyond a block. The vet warned me several times to put the dog on a diet and no more overfeeding. I explained I live with family and when I go to work, I can't see what's going on and have to trust that the dog is being taken care of by my family. The vet only gets frustrated and yells at me like I can control what I am not physically there to oversee.

This pisses me off. Meanwhile, family goes about their business, maybe chastened for a couple of days, then slides back inevitably because the dog is "not liking them" or is giving them "attitude" and they are trying to appease the dog. Appease? The dog is not a pitbull or some guard dog that has a job or is violent. The dog is simply a spoiled moody pouty obese mess courtesy of my aunt who thinks no one notices when she gives glazed donuts as a comfort snack to the dog when she has to go out to run errands.

Today my other dog, who is relatively newer to the home, has been carefully kept away from my aunt simply because I am afraid that my aunt will continue her love abuse with this second dog. This morning the dog woke up not feeling well, and was dry heaving. I massaged his belly and comforted him until he felt better and then took him for a walk where he seemed to relieve himself with no problem. When we got back, the dog seemed interested in going to check out what was happening in the kitchen and eventually broke out to go check things out.

When he didn't come back after a couple of minutes, I went to look for him. He came out from around the corner of my aunt's bed in her room, licking his chops. K. picked him up and I said to him, "Why are you licking your chops? Let me find out." and I went back to my room. K. came back a minute later to advise that auntie had given the dog some tuna.

Which part of don't feed the dog anything did aunt not understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment